Herbed leek soup with a lot of flavour, and then some more flavour. This was also my first time making a Bouquet Garni for stock. The stock is a basic mirepoix and chicken. The creamy base comes from puréed sweet potato so I guess you could say I’m going back to my French roots… heh heh. (Cause it’s a root vegetable)
Sweet Potato & Leek Soup
- Food Processor
- 2 lb chicken bones
- 1 skin of leek
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 whole peppercorns
- 2 carrots loosely chopped
- 2 celery sticks loosely chopped
- 1 yellow cooking onion
- 4 L water
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 leek quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 yellow cooking onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly salt and roast your bones for 45 minutes.
- In a large stockpot, combine carrots, celery, onion and roasted chicken bones.
- Wrap your rosemary, parsley, bay leaf, and peppercorns inside of the leek peel.
- Tie with twine and place in the stockpot.
- Pour 4L of water over bones and mirepoix and set to a low simmer for 3-4 hours, covered.
- Remove bones from stockpot and drain stock with a thin mesh strainer.
- On a large baking sheet, evenly spread out cubed sweet potato, onion, and garlic cloves and bake for 45 minutes at 375F.
- Using a food processor or emersion blender, puree roasted onion, sweet potato and garlic with broth.
- In a small saucepot, saute the leek with a bit of oil and salt.
- Add leek to soup mixture and bring to heat.
- Season well.
Served with a Paleo Bun from my friends at Food in the Nud. <3