It’s the one thing we’re allergic to, that’s always the most appealing. I’m so allergic to pineapples but because of that, it’s one of the very few items in the produce section I’ve never explored culinarily. Every few years, I’ll order it in a smoothie or try it in a fruit salad just to find out that I am, in fact, still allergic.
So it’s been a couple of years since my last pineapple encounter, and I was due to slice one up and see what happens. I’ll tell you now, I can already feel it. I almost wanna take a picture of my tongue when I wake up in the morning but it’s not for the faint-hearted.
Either way, this is my idea that inspired me to give it another shot:
Spicy Salmon Rolls
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored and sliced 1cm thick
- 1 salmon filet
- 1 English cucumber sliced 1mm thick using a mandolin
- Fresh dill for garnish
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat BBQ to 350F.
- Pop the salmon on some tin foil and cover it with a tsp of olive oil, salt and lemon juice, and dill.
- Barbecue for 25 minutes.
- Grill pineapple slices at the same time, straight on the grill, flipping once.
- In a small mixing bowl, begin whisking egg yolks with lemon juice, sea salt, cayenne, and smoked paprika.
- Slowly, 1/4 tbsp at a time, begin adding olive oil to mixture while stirring constantly.
- Slice up the salmon while still warm and combine with spicy sauce.
- Roll up cucumber slices on top of the grilled pineapple and spoon the spicy salmon mixture into the rounds.
- Top with dill.
- These are quite large so it's not like eating sushi, you kinda pick it up and eat it like a sandwich. It's very good with the pineapple inside as well!