“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” — Haruki Murakami
Paleo & Vegan Chilli
- 2 cans unsalted diced tomatoes drained
- 2 8 oz cans tomato paste
- 4 cups white mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms chopped
- 3 red potatoes peeled and diced 1/4"
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Sour Cream Alternative
- 2 tbsp fermented coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped green onion
- Soak potato cubes in cold water for 20 minutes and rinse in a colander.
- In a large stockpot (I used a ceramic coated cast iron), heat olive oil and add potatoes.
- Let simmer covered on medium/low for 20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes have softened, add onions and garlic and bring to medium heat, stirring often uncovered.
- Add all of your spices; chili powder, smoked paprika, chili flakes, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Once the onions have softened, add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and all mushrooms.
- Let simmer on medium/low, covered for 20 more minutes.
- Add more salt to taste if it is tangy.
- Garnish with halved and peeled avocado, sliced through mandolin to make avocado ribbons.
I soaked my potato cubes in water before using them to remove excess starch.